This is an easy to make, healthy chili made with turkey and fresh tomatoes. My husband and kids love this chili and I love it because it’s just healthy and full of protein. You will notice my version doesn’t have bell pepper (I took it out because I’m allergic) and uses fresh tomatoes and tomato or marinara sauce, green onion, and chicken broth.
1 lb ground turkey
1 yellow onion (minced)
6 Roma tomatoes (chopped)
5 15 oz cans red kidney beans (drained and rinsed in water)
3 15 oz can fat-free refried beans
1 can whole kernel corn (drained)
1 jar of 26 oz marinara sauce or tomato sauce
1 bag shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese
1 pack taco seasoning
2 bunches green onion (minced)
sour cream (optional)
1. Find a large soup pan with a good lid. Brown the ground turkey over medium heat using your spatula to break up the meat. Reduce heat to medium low (halfway between medium and low). Add in the minced yellow onion and cook until translucent.
2. Add in the kidney beans (drained and rinsed well), refried beans, corn (drained), 3 tomatoes worth of the Roma tomatoes (save the rest for garnish), and the marinara or tomato sauce. Mix well and stir in the taco seasoning.
3. Add in half of the green onion (save the rest for garnish). See if the chili is a good consistency for you. Mix well.
4. Turn the heat up to medium and cook for 15-18 minutes with lid of the soup pot on. Add in more kidney beans if you want it thicker. Heat the chili on medium longer if you want it thicker. Turn off the heat.
5. Serve the turkey taco chili topped with shredded cheese, minced green onion, chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, and if desired sour cream. I recommend doubling this recipe if you have more than 4 people or if you want leftovers.
*Green onion grows quickly. You will find if you save the roots of the green onion, they will grow if placed in a cup of water.
*If you need more liquid add more marinara or tomato sauce.
Dr. Jacqueline "Jax" Cheung grew up in Sacramento, California. She is a Christian Wife, Proud Mom,DrPH, MBA, Foodie, Writer, Blogger, Adoption Advocate, ESFJ, & Breast Cancer Survivor. Jax is the owner of the award winning Jax Chronicles Blog & Adoption Ministry. She is also the Editor-In-Chief of the Elk Grove Tribune, and freelances for Sacramento4Kids, and many other publications. She was voted Sacramento Area A-List Best Local Blogger 2014, 2015, 2017 & 2018 and Best of Elk Grove Best Blogger 2016 & 2017. In 2019 Jax was recognized for Outstanding Service & Dedication to Elk Grove and also received an Award of Recognition from the California State Senate. Jax is married to Dr. Kenneth Cheung (Kenny). Jax and Kenny live in Elk Grove, California and have 2 daughters named Roxy and Carissa, 1 dog named Marshmallow, and 3 cats named Mochi, Miso, and Mango. To follow her journey please like her Jax Chronicles Facebook page, follow her Instagram @jaxchronicles, follow her Twitter @jaxchronicles, or check out Jax Chronicles Blog & Adoption ministry.