- April 24, 2017
Elk Grove Blogger | Sacramento Blogger | Jax Chronicles
Hi there and thank you for reading Jax Chronicles!
Here are 10 random facts about me.
1) I don’t tend to run with the crowd. I march to my own beat. I’m feisty, quirky, and independent. Ask anybody who knows me. I’m really not your typical anything.
2) I’m a very petite woman. For the most part I like being petite. But I do struggle to find clothing in my size and often shop in the girls department.
3) I am a night owl. You’ll find me doing most of my posts between 12-3am.
4) I am a Christian. Though in the past and in my college years, I strayed away from God, I have found that my life makes the most sense when I’m closer to God. I’ve been told I’m a bit liberal for a Christian. I believe this is because I am accepting of all people and refuse to condemn them. God teaches us to love and I constantly remind myself that we are all God’s children.
5) I am of 100% Cantonese Chinese descent and speak both English and fluent Cantonese. I can speak a fair amount of conversational Mandarin but am by no means fluent in Mandarin.
6) Those closest to me tend to be empathetic and considerate people who like helping others, are able to rejoice in the successes of those around them, don’t gossip, and don’t cause drama. I veer away from people who don’t exhibit these qualities. Okay, I run away from them like the plague.
7) I am addicted to Jamba Juice (my fav is Orange Dream Machine with strawberries added with Vitamin C and zinc), chocolate (Ginger Elizabeth’s Gianduja Crunchy Crepe & Hazelnut Dessert Bar or Recchiuti’s Hazelnut Bar), homemade soup (I usually make soups myself) or ramen (Shoki II in Sac and Daikokuya in LA), or chicken congee (gai jook-I have posted several of my recipes). I never get sick of Jamba Juice, Ginger Elizabeth or Recchiuti chocolate, homemade soup or ramen or chicken congee and these items are definitely my favorite comfort foods.
8) One of my favorite movies is Cloud Atlas and this is my favorite quote from the movie.
“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others, past and present, and by each crime and every kindness we birth our future.” -Sonmi 451
9) Settlers of Catan is my favorite board game and Words With Friends and Pokemon Go are my favorite games on my iPhone.
10) If you’re familiar with Myers Briggs, I’m an ESFJ. I genuinely like meeting new people. I genuinely find happiness in trying to lift up people in my life.
How I Started Jax Chronicles Blog
I started this blog Jax Chronicles in 2003 as a way to document my life. Over time, Jax Chronicles evolved into a foodie blog, and later on, an adoption and mommy blog as well. I consider Jax Chronicles to be an on going depiction of my life as a Christian wife, Mom, Foodie, Sacramento Native, Elk Grove Resident, Feminist, Adoption Advocate, Blogger, Freelance Writer, and Cat Lover.
Jax Chronicles allows people to see me as a wife and mommy, and is also a way to let people see what adoption and motherhood is really like, and interesting places, foods, services, and events to check out (mostly in the Greater Sacramento area). I also post my own recipes that I create for my family.Think of me as your go to personal reference on anything to do with Sacramento, Elk Grove, Nor Cal eats, family friendly recipes, parenting hacks, or child adoption.
I am an award winning Elk Grove Blogger and Sacramento Blogger. As a Sacramento Blogger and Elk Grove Blogger, my blog Jax Chronicles has won several awards including the Sacramento A-List Best Local Blogger 2014, 2015, & 2017 and Best of Elk Grove Best Blogger 2016. More than anything I really just appreciate the incredible people that I’ve met through this experience.
Jax Chronicles is a foodie, mommy, adoption advocacy, parenting, and local events blog and an adoption ministry. I strive to uplift people and businesses in my local community, advocate for child adoption, and support other families, especially those trying to adopt or conceive. Jax Chronicles is a multi-faceted endeavor which also serves as a base for my freelance writing and my collaborations and partnerships with local businesses. As a freelance writer I also write for Sacramento4Kids and the Elk Grove Tribune.
In April of 2017, my hubby and I decided to also make Jax Chronicles an adoption ministry. If you or someone you know are adopting any Cantonese speaking child likely from Guangdong province, Guangxi province, or Hong Kong, I will do video translations of your child and Skype translations FOR FREE. (I am not fluent in Mandarin, only Cantonese.) I do a lot of Skype translations for newly adopted children who have just come home. If you or someone you know are considering adopting a child with a neurological issue, my husband who is a neurologist with Dignity Health will review the child’s referral or medical file FOR FREE. *Note that we will not tell you whether or not to adopt a child. We will just do Cantonese translations and licensed physicians will assess the medical history of the child based on facts.
My Education & Experience
In terms of my education and experience, I definitely didn’t take a straight path to any one career. It took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I obtained my bachelor’s degree in Ethnic Studies and a minor in Philosophy from the University of California, San Diego. With the goal of starting my own business, I obtained my MBA from the University of California, Davis. After realizing the profound effect that marketing can have on public health, I obtained a DrPH (doctorate in public health) from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in the Executive Health Leadership Program.
I began my career in the legal field and as a writer for a student paper and a local paper. I have career experiences which include marketing, journalism, non-profit, public health, and business consulting. During a career experience at a non-profit, I realized that my job simply did not encompass all of the things I was passionate about. I decided to start a company that drew upon my education and career experiences.
In May of 2011, I put together my own Business Plan and launched Go Jade Solutions, a Business Development & Consulting company, specializing in customized innovative solutions in the areas of Business, Marketing, Internet Marketing, Writing, and Wellness. My primary service was writing business places and implementing social media outreach for local companies. Go Jade Solutions called upon businesses and individuals to maximize their own value and promoted a movement that you could better yourself if you followed your dreams. I continued to run Jax Chronicles although I did not receive any public recognition until the year 2014. Until April 2017, I was the Owner and Executive Director of Go Jade Solutions. I became the Executive Director of Jade Biotechnology in May 2014 and still have this position currently. Primarily, I do a lot of research and research projects. Go Jade Solutions and Jade Biotechnology are unrelated companies. I do not own Jade Biotechnology.
In the year 2016, I realized I could write sponsored blog posts, as well as sell paid advertisements (ad space) on my blog, and implement social media blasts for local companies. So I began to do so. My income began to grow and it got to the point where I was doing more with Jax Chronicles than with my other business Go Jade Solutions. I decided to focus on Jax Chronicles as a blog, a business, an adoption ministry, and as a base for my freelance writing. In April of 2017, I filed for a business license for Jax Chronicles blog, launched a fresh website design, and also started our adoption ministry.
I work from home as the Owner/Blogger of Jax Chronicles blog and adoption ministry. Jax Chronicles is a one woman show. My blog is a base for my freelance writing. I have been working as a freelance writer as well and write for Sacramento4Kids and the Elk Grove Tribune. I also work from home for now for my position as the Executive Director of Jade Biotechnology. Essentially my job titles are “Blogger, Freelance Writer, Adoption Advocate, & Executive Director.” I am a very busy woman.
My Life & Family
I am married to a wonderful man named Kenny. We have 2 daughters named Roxy and Carissa and 3 cats named Mochi, Miso, and Mango. As a Christian, I firmly believe in the power of prayer. In my spare time I enjoy helping others, spending time with family and friends, playing or eating with my daughters and husband, cooking or eating great food and then blogging about it, bbqing and swimming all year long, playing Settlers of Catan, Pokemon Go, watching live bands, social marketing, networking, web design, light shows, the beach, and getting facials.
I believe God gives each of us specific gifts and has Angels protecting each and every one of us. Angels are all around us. I would like to fully embrace and utilize all the gifts that God has given me and connect more with my Angels. As an adoptive Mom, I am a strong supporter of child adoption. I also have a heart for animals and have fostered many cats.
I really cherish my awesome family and all my good friends. They lift me up. I strive to live my life with passion, compassion, and integrity. I’m about acceptance, respect, and love…the manna to the soul we all crave. I’m about living your life with hope and faith, helping people to fulfill their potential, and rejoicing in the success and happiness of those around me. I try to use my strengths to have a positive effect on the world and to always lift up my loved ones.
Dr. Jacqueline "Jax" Cheung grew up in Sacramento, California. She is a Christian Wife, Proud Mom, Major Foodie, Sacramento Native, Elk Grove Resident, Feminist, Adoption Advocate, Blogger, Freelance Writer, and Cat Lover. Jax is the owner of the award winning Jax Chronicles blog & adoption ministry. She also works as a Freelance Writer and writes for the Elk Grove Tribune, Sacramento4Kids, and many other publications. Jax is married to Dr. Kenneth Cheung (Kenny). Jax and Kenny live in Elk Grove, California and have 2 daughters named Roxy and Carissa, and 3 cats named Mochi, Miso, and Mango. To follow her journey please follow her Instagram @jaxchronicles, her Twitter @jaxchronicles, like her Jax Chronicles Facebook page , or check out Jax Chronicles blog & adoption ministry.